Week in WordPress episode 2: WordPress is worth eleventy billion
Posted on June 21, 2013 - No Comments
Week in WordPress episode 2 is out!
Today we’re joined by Brian Krogsgard of Poststat.us and Jeff Chandler of WPTavern.com to discuss the top headlines for the week in WordPress.
Plenty of great discussion surrounding the WordPress ecosystem, the value of WordPress, and the culture of our community.
All that and more, coming up!
Week in WordPress episode 2
Watch on YouTube
Matt Mullenweg on This Week in Startups w/ Jason Calacanis
- part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3hFrpVCPc
- part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128zQnB4hGc
- Shares his thoughts on tumblr acquistion (sold for “too little”)
- How WordPress is making money (and still learning)
- The importance of open source
- His biggest mistake: 2005 adding advertising on .org
- His thoughts on why rewriting WP from the ground up wouldn’t be the most productive use of time and resources
- Great interview
Bad Attitudes are not welcome
- Referencing http://wpdaily.co/attitude-adjustment/
- What’s the deal with WordPress community now that we’re 10 years old?
WPDaily (WordPress news) doing $3k in revenue
- “Our first post was December 1, 2012 and 143 days later, on April 22, 2013 we started monetizing and sold out nearly all our original stock overnight. A few weeks later we established our baseline (direct sales) offering (had a pre-sold list demanding us to increase quantity) and found the property to be grossing in excess of $3,000 / month.”
Where the heck is WP 3.6?
- 3.5 – Released Dec 11 12
- 3.5.1 – Jan 24 13
Automattic acquires mobile WordPress app Poster
- Poster enables you to post articles on WordPress from your iOS device
- Terms of the deal were not disclosed
- Tom Witkin, will also be joining Automattic
- Thoughts on future acquisitions?